The New Year is quickly approaching, and the winter weather is bitter. The mounds of snow may be behind us, but the chill in the air will be here for a few more months. The struggle in this weather is being stylish and warm at the same time. Well, we are fully-stocked with tons of coats...shearlings, puffy-downs, trenches, wool car coats, vintage dressy coats, and many more in all different colors! The look these days is tons of layers and jazzing up any coat with different colored and patterned scarves. Take fashion cues from your favorite celebrities and fashion icons. Sure, they may live in California, but they still know how to fashionably bundle in the cold. The coats in here are consigned, but we always choose pieces that are in excellent condition that are either current styles or mint vintage condition. We can help you add your own flair to the look with other accessories and items.
Have you finished checking off your Christmas list? We are still bringing in awesome pieces that will make an impact under your tree.
Dear Santa, What I want for Christmas is...
- Tiffany Elsa Peretti Mini Bean 18K Gold Pendant Necklace
- Hermes Silk Scarves
- Jay Strongwater Jewelry Box
- Prada Wallet
- Vintage Jewelry
We will be open
Thursday, December 24th from 10 am - 12 pm
Hope you have a wonderful holiday!
We hope everyone enjoyed the beautiful snowfall over the weekend. It's time to dress warmly, now what we've shoveled and can run about the streets and shop.
It is difficult to dress up for the cold weather without looking like a king-size foam roll walking around- but with the right, warm items, your winter weather outfit is merely a snowball away from being chic.
A shawl, poncho, or a cape is the perfect winter staple that is stylish indoors and outdoors. We've got a few here made of wool, cashmere, oh and baby alpaca.
Fur coats and jackets of all lengths make a statement- and keeps you extremely toasty in the chilliest of winds. If you are not into wearing fur- fashion always produces fantastic pieces made of 'pretend' fur.
If you're covered in a balloon coat, accentuate your taste with what you have on your feet! There are so many choices to choose from when it comes to winter boots- rubber soled with furry detailing, thigh-high, knee-high, it never ends!
We are counting down until Christmas! Stay warm and don't let the cold stop you from jazzing up your winter wear.
We went to the grand opening of the second location of Current Boutique on Sunday, December 13. Even though it had been pouring with rain throughout the day, it cleared up just in time for us to throw on our jackets and go to the celebration. The new shop is delightful with hardwood floors and one of those lovely old tin ceilings, painted black. The shop is spacious and there were live models in edgy clothing. A disc-jockey played music, there was champagne and shrimp and drawings of prizes, it was fun all around. As always with resale, you never know what great piece you'll come across, for me it turned out to be a fabulous blazer that I wore immediately.
Current Boutique's new location is at
1009 King Street
Alexandria, Va 22314
Alexandria, Va 22314
So, you don't want to go out and buy a whole new wardrobe every season, but you do want to keep your look current, right? No matter what the season, there are simple things you can do to look polished, without overhauling your closet:
- If you want to look polished, you should be polished. Fingernail polish is an easy way to update your look from season to season. New popular colors continuously show up on fashionable celebrities, creating a craze around that color for the season. Usually nail polish colors mimic what is happening in the colors on the runways. For instance, one of the hot colors this year is Chanel's Jade, which is a pale green shade, popularized by celebrities as Rachel Bilson, that is now sold out.
- Make a Statement. Fashion runways and magazines keep reiterating to us, that this season in jewelry, "the bigger, the better". To update your look for this winter season, put on a big piece of jewelry. Super-lux designers adorned their models in huge bib necklaces and bangles that came up to the elbow, designer looks. The 1980s and decades before were infamous for big jewelry, we have plenty to choose from at New to You.
- Shine On. Even though it is winter, the sun is still shining and the glare is bright, so don't forget your sunglasses. This is an easy switch up for each season. Sunglasses can range in price from $3 to $500, so depending what you are in the market for, these eye-adornments can be very affordable and an easy update to your look. Even the designer one's that are priced well above $300 can be affordable when you find them here at New to You.
- Not-so-Neutral. Fashion designers look to PANTONE to determine the color's of the season. Along with the good ol' black, brown, gray, and all the neutrals in-between, the colors of this season are described as intense and shocking. Look for jewel-tones and electric colors to spruce up your wardrobe. An item can be as small a brooch or a scarf or as significant as your handbag or shoes.
- Take it to New Tights. Who else out there is saying thank goodness tights are back in? I know my legs could not take this cold and chafing for one more winter season. The best part about tights is that they are fashionable and comfortable...a fashionista's dream! Because they are making a comeback, you can really wear whatever one's suit your fancy. Opaque is the way to go, but as far as color, print, and texture...go crazy, they are all making an appearance in the magazines.
Fashion does not have to be intimidating...make it work for you. Do what you can and what you want, and make it appropriate for you and your lifestyle!
This is an exciting time of year for fashion-lovers. We get to dress-up, wear sparkles, and be fabulous! So, the office party is always a tricky one...you want to get all dolled up, but you don't want to go overboard, right?
Picking the outfit...
It is winter, so dress weather-appropriate. Don't pull out those light-weight fabrics and pale, whimsical florals. Instead opt for heavier fabrics and more jewel-toned colors. There is always the Little Black Dress to pump up with accessories. There is also always the option of separates, which may take a little more thought, but can be easier to put together than you think. If you have a gorgeous top, pair it with something less obvious on the bottom, and vice versa. Don't over-think it.
Emphasizing and Accessorizing the outfit...
Here, at New To You, we are all about the accessories.
- You wear practical, work-appropriate shoes everyday, so now is the chance to break out those stunning metallic heels, patent booties, or sequin peep-toes. We know, comfort is key, but the party is only a few hours long, right?
- Wearing that Little Black Dress acts as canvas for sparkle and glitter! Have fun with your jewelry! Do you have a magnificent cocktail ring, a wristful of bangles, shimmery dangly earrings, or a trendsetting rhinestone bib necklace? Well, break them out, only not all at once. One or two pieces of statement jewelry at a time is a good rule of thumb...you don't want to look like you are trying too hard.
- As with shoes, your everyday bag is probably practical and big enough to lug around everything you need in a given day. So for this evening occasion, let's switch it up. Trade your everyday bag for a smaller wristlet, clutch, or a chain-strap evening bag. As Tim Gunn says, "The dressier the affair, the smaller the handbag." Your bag does not have to match your shoes, it all just has to "go", meaning work together and be in the same family.
Now, we know your weeks and weekends are probably jam-packed throughout December with fun and festive parties and Holiday activities, but we are happy to help with all of your fashion needs and questions at here at New To You. We have some gorgeous pieces in that will work wonderfully for this Holiday season!